Thursday, February 28, 2008

So much reality

I'm not immune to 'reality' television, I watch it. It was the majority of what I watched tonight. Though I can't say I really care all that much about it, at the same time. I spent two hours flipping between Fox and CW, American Idol and Top Model/Pussycat Dolls thing. And I can't say I cared all that much about any of them. If all of them vanished off the air tomorrow, never to air another episode, I really don't think I'd care. Even leaving it hanging and never knowing who 'won'. I don't care who wins all that much. I never cared enough to say call in and vote on American Idol, but I think I care even less now than a few seasons ago, with all the shows. It gets to feel all the same, no matter the contestants. The other reality show I watched tonight, which I find a bit more entertaining still, is Project Runway. Not because I'm all into fashion or anything. One look at my wardrobe and you'd know I'm not a fashion fiend. Not that I look horrible, but jeans are my staple, and comfy tanks and henleys make up most of what I wear. But for me, it's simply a show that hasn't gotten so 'old' after several seasons. Each season feels new, not just like the same crap with new faces. Perhaps because the designers all have their own flavor, or maybe it's just the way it's done, I'm not sure, but I find it, and the other Bravo reality shows of a similar nature much more interesting. Though the Bravo reality shows that aren't 'contests', I can't say I care much for. I don't find anything that appealing or intrieging about Housewives of Orange County or that show about the lesbian fitness instructor, or any of the rest. I seem to recall one about real estate also. But Top Chef, that Top Design, the new 'Make me a Supermodel' thing, they all are interesting, I find myself coming back to them, and enjoying them when I watch. The two major network reality shows I'm still curious to see more of is Fox's 'So you Think You can Dance', I find that to be fun, and each season and episode seems fresh, and not the same crap over and over. And then CW's Beauty and the Geek, which is an interesting thing to watch.

That all said, for as much as I do enjoy some reality shows, I much prefer scripted television, and find well crafted, fictional stories to be much more appealing, and stand up to time and draw me for repeat viewings. And if TV channels wanted to do away with all 'reality' TV, I wouldn't be too bothered by that. However there are fictional, scripted shows that I really do love so much, it takes time to get over when they end, like Angel, there was a withdrawl period with that show. And I always anxiously await upfronts in May to find out now if my favorite shows will be back for another season.

No comments: